In preparation for embracing the “Swank Diet” in the new year, I am taking steps to wean myself off certain favourite foods. A lot of the diets books I have been reading say it is important not to put your body through sudden and / or drastic changes, so I am currently cutting back on coffee and dairy products, and if I am eating dairy, using low-fat or no-fat versions. If you are regular follower of this blog, you may have detected that I love baking and I believe cake should be classified as its’ own food group. The inspiration for this recipe is to come up with a cake that doesn’t use butter. I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s healthy, but for me, it’s a step in the right direction.
The cake has been drowned in a sticky syrup, which you could skip if you want or need to reduce your sugar intake. Delicious served warm alongside a scoop of fat free natural yoghurt.
What I was cooking this time last year: Veggie Burgers
Lemon Poppy Seed Yoghurt Cake
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup zero fat yoghurt
- 1/2 cup rice bran oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 2 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Generous pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- Turn the oven on to 180°C to pre-heat.
- Add the flour, sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, lemon zest, yoghurt and oil to your food processor bowl.
- Juice the zested lemons, and add 1/2 cup lemon juice to the food processor bowl.
- Mix until the cake batter is combined.
- Add the poppy seeds to the food processor bowl and pulse until mixed into the cake batter.
- Grease a cake tin.
- Pour the cake mix into your greased cake tin, and set a timer for 45 minutes (you may need to adjust the cooking time depending on your oven and cake tin size).
- To make the syrup zest 2 lemons to produce long strips of zest. Add to a saucepan.
- Juice the lemon, to create 1/4 cup lemon juice, add 1/4 cup of water and add to the saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to the lemon zest and juice mix.
- Cook the syrup mixture over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to the boil.
- Take the syrup off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove from the tin and pour over the syrup while the cake is still hot.
- Serve warm or once cooled. Enjoy.
What is your favourite healthy(ish) cake recipe? Has this post inspired any new ideas?