I was meeting friends in Centennial Park today for a baby shower picnic, and was responsible for bringing dips. I wanted to bring one of my favourite dips, tzatziki. After researching different recipes, it seems the secret with this dip is to keep things simple. I was thinking of experimenting with the addition of spices, but the only things that seem to be added are a generous amount of salt and pepper, and either mint or dill. I went with adding both herbs, and some lemon zest and lemon infused olive oil for an extra citrus kick.
The raw garlic actually adds a bit of heat to the dip, so taste as you go when adding the garlic and pepper. Some recipes ask you to peel the cucumber and / or scoop out the seeds, I didn’t but instead allowed the yoghurt and grated cucumber to drain to remove some of the excess liquid. Suspend your strainer over a bowl to allow the liquid to drip through.
Serve this dip with your favourite crackers, or vegetable crudités (I used celery and carrot sticks) or as part of a Middle-Eastern inspired feast.
What I was cooking this time last year: Asian Marinated Salmon
- 1 cup natural greek-style yoghurt
- 1 cucumber
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used lemon infused)
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grate the cucumber and add to a suspended strainer.
- Add the yoghurt to the grated cucumber in the strainer and set aside for the excess liquid to drip through.
- Set aside the draining yoghurt and grated cucumber for half-an-hour while you prepare your vegetable crudités.
- Discard the liquid and add the yoghurt and grated cucumber to the blow.
- Grate the lemon zest and finely mince the garlic and add to the bowl.
- Add the finely chopped mint, dill, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix with a spoon until everything is combined.
- Transfer your dip to a bowl and serve (or refrigerate until ready to serve). Enjoy.
What is your favourite dip? Has this post inspired any new ideas?