Australia Day is a national holiday celebrated in Australia on the 26th of January. It could also be referred to as Invasion Day by the indigenous Aboriginal community, as it marks the claiming of the country by Captain Cook and the British Empire. It is a day where we celebrate all things Australian (or things that we claim as Australian but actually originated in New Zealand like the Pavlova).
For my recipe this week I wanted to use a native Australian spice, and decided upon strawberry gum. According to its description, strawberry gum is a ground native Australian herb, with a flavour profile of berries, passionfruit and sweet spices (and I can attest this is a fairly accurate description). You can order ground strawberry gum via Herbie’s Spices online, or it is stocked in many delis and gourmet food stores.
I used store-bought Anzac biscuits for my cheesecake base. I will share a home-made recipe for Anzac biscuits in April closer to Anzac day. If you can’t track down Anzac biscuits, feel free to use any sweet store-bought biscuit you like. I used Green and Black’s white chocolate because it is organic, fair trade and has lovely flecks of real vanilla pod seeds through it.
Strawberry Gum, Passionfruit and White Chocolate Cheesecake
- 300mls cream
- 250g cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons ground strawberry gum
- 200g white chocolate
- 250g Anzac biscuits
- 100g butter
- 6 passionfruit
- Add the biscuits to your food processor and blitz into crumbs
- Add the butter and blitz again to combine, the mixture should look like wet sand
- Press the biscuit base into your tin
- Refrigerate until firm
- Add the cream to a saucepan and gently heat until steaming but not boiling
- Add the white chocolate and strawberry gum to the hot cream, the heat from the cream should be enough to melt the chocolate and infuse the strawberry gum (if the chocolate doesn’t melt, return to a very low heat and stir continuously until melted)
- Cool your white chocolate and cream mixture in the refrigerator until it firms and becomes a ganache
- Whip the ganache with beaters to make it light and fluffy
- Add the cream cheese and the fruit and pulp from 3 passionfruit to the ganache mixture
- Whip the cream cheese and passionfruit until incorporated into the ganache
- Spoon the cream cheese ganache mixture on top of your biscuit base and spread to create a smooth, even top
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve
- Top with the pulp from your remaining 3 passionfruit, remove your cheesecake from its tin and it is ready to serve. Enjoy.
What is your favourite Australian inspired recipe? Has this post inspired any new ideas?