I love a lazy weekend breakfast, when the alarm hasn’t chased me out of bed – eggs or pancakes, coffee – either at home or out and about at one of the many fabulous cafes in my area.
During the week I find breakfast much more of a struggle – preferring an extra 10 minutes in bed than eating breakfast before I head out the door to work. In an effort to improve my healthy eating habits [and resist the temptation of the vending machine mid-morning], I have started making Bircher Muesli on a Sunday evening for the week ahead, and taking this in individual serving size containers to eat at my desk as I sift through my emails when I first arrive at work.
LSA mix is a ground linseed, sunflower kernel and almond mix. For further details about the benefits of LSA mix, visit this blog post by Goodness.
If you have been busy making Anzac biscuits lately, you probably have some left over oats available for this recipe.
Don’t feel you have to be on-the-go to try this out, this recipe works just as well if you are able to take your time in the morning to enjoy a leisurely breakfast.
- 1 cup instant oats
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 100 g dried apricots
- 1 apple
- 200 mls apple juice
- 250g plain natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons LSA mix
- 115g packet slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 180°C, place slivered almonds on a baking tray and cook in the oven until lightly golden [approx. 10 minutes], you may need to stir the almonds around occasionally to ensure they cook evenly and those on the outside don’t burn before the center almonds get some colour. Once a light golden colour, remove from the oven and leave almonds to cool then store in an air tight container.
- Grate the apple [avoid the core and leave the skin on] and chop the apricots into small pieces.
- Add the grated apple, chopped apricots, mixed spice, apple juice, oats, yoghurt and LSA mix to a bowl or container and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Refrigerate overnight for the liquid to be absorbed and the flavours to infuse.
- When ready to eat, transfer serving to bowl and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
What helps get you going in the morning? Has this post inspired any new ideas?